Dealing with Copyright
Friday, December 4, 2015
9:00 am Pacific | 10:00 am Mountain | 11:00 am Central | 12:00 pm Eastern
Leader: Sean Fox
This event has already taken place. See the resources below.
At the end of this webinar, participants will be able to...
- Assess the copyright situation of potential InTeGrate materials.
- Identify an appropriate range of options with which they might 'deal' with the copyright requirements of potential InTeGrate materials.
- Correctly record the provenance and reuse details of material they upload into the CMS for their InTeGrate module.
- Explain what the end users of InTeGrate are allowed to do with InTeGrate materials.
Time - 9:00 am Pacific | 10:00 am Mountain | 11:00 am Central | 12:00 pm Eastern
Duration - 1 hour
Format - Online web presentation via Adobe Connect web conference software with questions and discussion.
Registration - Please register for this workshop by Thursday, Dec 3, 2015 using the registration form.
Preparation - There is no advance preparation required for this webinar.
Please email Monica Bruckner (mbruckne AT carleton.edu) if you have any questions about this event.
PresenterSean Fox is the Technical Director for SERC. He designs, builds, and runs the technical infrastructure that underpins the web sites (like this one) which are central to most of SERC's activities.
He has been a web site author and web server administrator since 1993. He is not a lawyer.
- Quick Introduction of Presenter - 5 minutes
- Presentation on Copyright: What, when, why and how- 20-30 minutes
- View the Copyright PowerPoint (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 1MB Dec4 15)
- Small group activity - 30 minutes
- Wrap up and Questions - 10 minutes
Watch the Screencast
View the Copyright PowerPoint slides (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 1MB Dec4 15)
The SERC site has a lot of material on copyright, especially with regards to sharing materials on the SERC site itself. The following links may be helpful to you as you begin to pursue this topic:
- Here is the main InTeGrate page about copyright that was written up specifically for the module authors: http://serc.carleton.edu/integrate/info_team_members/currdev/copyright.html
- And here is another generic SERC page that speaks to copyright and authoring materials on our site that is somewhat duplicative and somewhat complementary: http://serc.carleton.edu/serc/authoring/copyright.html
- This is the page for the public users of the site which explains what people can (and can't) do: http://serc.carleton.edu/integrate/about/terms_of_use.html
- A great resource for finding images under a creative commons license is the Creative Commons search
- Watch previous webinars: