Helping your department or program to survive and thrive in the changing world of higher education
Thursday, April 18, 2019
10:00 am PT | 11:00 am MT | 12:00 pm CT | 1:00 pm ET
Presenters: Stephen Mulkey (University of Florida & Unity College) and Kathy Browne (Rider University)
This webinar is sponsored by the Association for Environmental Studies and Sciences (AESS) and the National Association of Geoscience Teachers (NAGT). This webinar is part of a series supporting teaching with InTeGrate principles, using InTeGrate-developed and curated materials as tools.
Registration is closed.
This webinar presents the story of how one academic department recovered and became stronger after an existential threat. A former university president provides context of the pressures facing higher education and strategies for survival, recovery and thriving.
By the end of this webinar, participants will:
- Learn about the changing world of higher education and its potential consequences for Earth and environmental programs.
- Learn about strategies to not only survive an existential threat but to grow and thrive as a program.
- Develop ideas on how to use these approaches at their own institutions
Time - 10:00 am PT | 11:00 am MT | 12:00 pm CT | 1:00 pm ET
Duration - 1 hour
Format - Online web presentation via Zoom meeting software with questions and discussion. Go to the webinar technology page for information on using Zoom. Detailed instructions for joining the webinar will be emailed to registered participants one day prior to the webinar.
Preparation - There is no advance preparation required for this webinar. We encourage participants to view the websites of the organizations mentioned in the workshop summary.
Registration is closed.
Please email Mitchell Awalt (email@example.com) if you have any questions about this event.Stephen Mulkey, Affiliate Faculty, Department of Biology, University of Florida and President Emeritus, Unity College
Kathy Browne, Chairperson, Department of Geological, Environmental & Marine Sciences (GEMS), Rider University
- Welcome and introductory remarks – Mitchell Awalt, SERC
- Introduction of speakers - David Blockstein, AESS
- Stephen Mulkey, University of Florida - Stephen Mulkey Slides (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 2.1MB Apr18 19)
- Kathy Browne, Rider University - Kathy Browne Slides (Acrobat (PDF) 2.6MB Apr18 19)
- Discussion and questions – moderated by David Blockstein, AESS
- Opportunities for further interaction - Mitchell Awalt, SERC
- Webinar Evaluation
- Webinar Community Discussion
- A confluence of crises in higher education (Acrobat (PDF) 17kB Mar28 19)
- NAGT's Traveling Workshops Program