Teaching Ocean Sustainability using Active Learning Techniques
Monday, May 21, 2018
10:00 am PT | 11:00 am MT | 12:00 pm CT | 1:00 pm ET
Presenters: Michelle Kinzel (San Diego Mesa College), Cara Thompson (Arizona State University West Campus), and Astrid Schnetzer (North Carolina State University)
This webinar is part of a series supporting teaching with InTeGrate principles, using InTeGrate-developed and curated materials as tools.
Registration is closed.
The InTeGrate Ocean Sustainability Module introduces the importance of oceans, basic ocean processes, and the impacts of oceans on human health. During this webinar we will present a quick overview of the six units covered in the InTeGrate Ocean Sustainability module and two units in depth:
- Unit 1: Ocean Circulation and Health, which explores modern ocean circulation and how these patterns are expected to be altered by climate change.
- Unit 4: Oceans in Peril: Pressures on Ocean Ecosystems, which explores how modern climate change impacts grey whale behavior.
The units presented in depth will provide participants examples of how to challenge students to think about the interconnectedness of Earth's systems and how humans can alter marine systems and their inhabitants.
At the end of this webinar, participants will have learned:
- where to access the materials required for the InTeGrate Ocean Sustainability module,
- what topics are covered in the module, and
- how to implement Unit 1 (Ocean Circulation and Health) and Unit 4 (Oceans in Peril) in their classrooms.
Time - 10:00 am PT | 11:00 am MT | 12:00 pm CT | 1:00 pm ET
Duration - 1 hour
Format - Online web presentation via Zoom meeting software with questions and discussion. Go to the webinar technology page for information on using Zoom. Detailed instructions for joining the webinar will be emailed to registered participants one day prior to the webinar.
Preparation - There is no advance preparation required for this webinar.
Registration is closed.
Please email Mitchell Awalt (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions about this event.
Michelle Kinzel, Professor of GIS and Geography, San Diego Mesa College
Cara Thompson, Clinical Assistant Professor, Arizona State University West Campus
Astrid Schnetzer, Associate Professor, North Carolina State University
Ocean Sustainability Webinar Slides (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 43.6MB May21 18)
1) Welcome and introductory remarks – Mitchell Awalt, SERC
2) Overview of the six units within the InTeGrate Ocean Sustainability Module and presentation of Unit 1: Ocean Circulation and Health - Cara Thompson, Arizona State University, West Campus.
3) Presentation of Unit 4: Oceans in Peril and module summary - Michelle Kinzel, San Diego Mesa College.
4) Reflection by participants
Prompt: What are the biggest challenges in connecting students to our oceans and the importance of ocean health?
5) Concluding remarks by presenters
6) Opportunities for further interaction - Mitchell Awalt, SERC
7) Webinar Evaluation
- Module: Ocean Sustainability