Designing Activities for Effective Online Teaching
Monday, January 22, 2018
9:00 am PT | 10:00 am MT | 11:00 am CT | 12:00 pm ET
Presenters: Timothy Bralower (Pennsylvania State University) and Adrianne Leinbach (Wake Technical Community College)
This webinar is part of a series supporting teaching with InTeGrate principles, using InTeGrate-developed and curated materials as tools.
Registration is closed.
Teaching online is growing in acceptance and its accessibility creates an opportunity to reach students from diverse socioeconomic backgrounds. Active learning, systems thinking, using data, and dealing with complexity are harder to approach in online education, and these difficulties are magnified at larger scales. There is a need to develop and disseminate best practices for teaching about Earth online. Building on current teaching materials and design principles, this webinar will explore Earth Science focused online teaching methods, technologies, and materials. It will also discuss how classroom activities can be adapted and scaled to larger online class sizes.
By the end of this webinar, participants will:
- Learn about designing effective activities for online courses
- Learn about the benefits of different technologies
- Think about how to scale activities for large class sizes
Time - 9:00 am PT | 10:00 am MT | 11:00 am CT | 12:00 pm ET
Duration - 1 hour
Format - Online web presentation via Zoom web meeting software with questions and discussion. Detailed instructions for joining the webinar will be emailed to registered participants one day prior to the webinar.
Preparation - There is no advance preparation required for this webinar.
Registration is closed.
Please email Mitchell Awalt (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions about this event.
Timothy Bralower, Professor, Department of Geosciences, Pennsylvania State University
Adrianne Leinbach, Associate Professor, Geology, Wake Technical Community College
1) Welcome and introductory remarks - Mitchell Awalt, SERC staff
2) Webinar presentation
4) Synthetic remarks - final remarks by presenters
5) Opportunities for further interaction – Mitchell Awalt, SERC staff
6) Webinar Evaluation
Click to download the presentation slides (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 1MB Jan24 18).
- Continue the discussion on the community discussion board
- Teaching About Earth Online Workshop
- Student Learning Outcomes Note-Taking Template (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 44kB Jan24 18)