Integrating Hazards and Societal Impact into Your Course
Addressing Earthquake Hazards with LiDAR, GPS, and InSAR in Upper-level Undergraduate Courses
Thursday, April 13th
10:00 am PT | 11:00 am MT | 12:00 pm CT | 1:00 pm ET
Friday, April 7th
11:00 am PT | 12:00 pm MT | 1:00 pm CT | 2:00 pm ET
Presenters: Brittany Brand (Boise State University) and Myla Jeffries (Ada County Emergency Management)
This webinar is part of a series supporting teaching with InTeGrate principles, using InTeGrate-developed and curated materials as tools.
Resources, including presentation slides and the Screencast recording after the webinar
At the end of this webinar, participants will have:
- examples of student activities that address hazards;
- examples of ways to more deliberately address societal impacts in their course;
- strategies for collaborating with emergency management and other local agencies;
- greater familiarity with InTeGrate principles and materials;
- new colleagues engaged in this work.
Time - 11:00 am PT | 12:00 pm MT | 1:00 pm CT | 2:00 pm ET
Duration - 1 hour
Format - Online web presentation via Adobe Connect web conference software with questions and discussion.
Go to the webinar technology page for information on using Adobe Connect.
Detailed instructions for joining the webinar will be emailed to registered participants one day prior to the webinar.
Registration is now closed.
Preparation - There is no advance preparation required for this webinar.
Please email Rory McFadden (email@example.com) if you have any questions about this event.
Brittany Brand, Department of Geosciences, Boise State University
Myla Jeffries, Ada County Emergency Management
ITG webinar Integrating Hazards and Societal Impact into Your Course (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 24.1MB Apr6 17)
1) Welcome and introductory remarks - Rory McFadden, SERC staff
2) Overview of the Map Your Hazards Module – Brittany Brand
- Learning objectives for each unit
- Importance of teaching hazards in societal impact
- student examples of vulnerability and risk maps
- common student struggles
- Modifications of the module
3) Discussion on role of emergency management – Myla Jeffries
4) Reflections by participants
- Prompt: How do you incorporate societal impact into your course?
The conveners will reflect on the chat and each provide a synthetic remark.
6) Opportunities for further interaction – Rory McFadden
7) Webinar Evaluation
- Teaching for a Sustainable Future
- InTeGrate Modules and Courses
- Map Your Hazards! – Assessing Hazards, Vulnerability and Risk
- Ada County Emergency Management