Teaching Sustainability in an Interdisciplinary First-Year Seminar
10:00 am Pacific | 11:00 am Mountain | 12:00 pm Central | 1:00 pm Eastern
Friday, February 9, 2018
9:00 am PT | 10:00 am MT | 11:00 am CT | 12:00 pm ET
Presenters: Emily O. Walsh (Cornell College) and Erin Calhoun Davis (Cornell College)
This webinar is part of a series supporting teaching with InTeGrate principles, using InTeGrate-developed and curated materials as tools.
Registration is closed.
We, a geology professor and a sociology professor, will discuss our team-taught first-year seminar focused on environmental and social sustainability. In this course, we seek to increase students' understanding of the complex nature of sustainability in a consumer society. InTeGrate materials are invaluable in helping first-year students connect the natural science and the social science perspectives. During this webinar, we will discuss our course, the benefits of these modules for interdisciplinary learning, and the ways we modified them to be accessible for non-majors in their first semester at college. We will conclude by exploring ways that InTeGrate modules can contribute to interdisciplinarity in collaborative teaching models ranging from linked courses to team-taught courses. Participants are encouraged both to ask questions of the presenters and to discuss their own experiences using InTeGrate to link multiple perspectives.
At the end of this webinar, participants will have:
- examples and strategies for adapting InTeGrate modules across the curriculum in introductory and non-STEM courses.
- increased awareness of the benefits of InTeGrate modules for achieving interdisciplinarity in different course structures.
Time - 9:00 am PT | 10:00 am MT | 11:00 am CT | 12:00 pm ET
Duration - 1 hour
Format - Online web presentation via Zoom meeting software with questions and discussion. Go to the webinar technology page for information on using Zoom. Detailed instructions for joining the webinar will be emailed to registered participants one day prior to the webinar.
Preparation - There is no advance preparation required for this webinar.
Registration is closed.
Please email Mitchell Awalt (email@example.com) if you have any questions about this event.
Emily O. Walsh, Professor, Geology, Cornell College
Erin Calhoun Davis, Professor and Associate Dean, Sociology, Cornell College
Webinar Slides 02_09_18 (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 19.7MB Feb8 18)
1) Welcome and introductory remarks – Mitchell Awalt, SERC
2) Webinar presentation
3) Reflections by participants
4) Synthetic remarks - final remarks by presenters
5) Opportunities for further interaction - Mitchell Awalt, SERC
6) Webinar Evaluation
- Emily O. Walsh and Erin Calhoun Davis (2017) The Geology and Sociology of Consumption: Team-Teaching Sustainability in an Interdisciplinary First-Year Seminar. Journal of Geoscience Education: May 2017, Vol. 65, No. 2, pp. 126-135.
- Course Syllabus (Acrobat (PDF) 204kB Feb9 18)
- Map Your Hazards! module
- Climate of Change module
- Humans' Dependence on Earth's Mineral Resources module
- Community Discussion