This is the second in a series of face-to-face workshops that will bring the Change Agents together four times during the course of this four-year project. These Change Agent workshops will be complemented by other professional development opportunities - from virtual journal clubs, discussion groups, and webinars to face-to-face workshops at professional meetings. This second workshop is designed to bring the Change Agents together with the project personnel to share expertise and experience, learn about evidence-based practices to improve student success, broaden participation in the geosciences, and facilitate professional pathways of students in the geosciences; and generate plans for actions subsequent to this workshop. As one of the goals of the project is to promote institutional change, we will invite an administrator from the campus/institution of each Change Agent.
The workshop will include presentations, group discussions, Change Agent team work sessions, sessions with administrators, and opportunities for individual consultations with workshop leaders and presenters. In addition, each team will meet briefly with a member of the project evaluation and research team.
For Change Agents:
- Continue to build the project community
- Learn more about aspects of the three major strands of the project:
- supporting the academic success of all students, focusing on metacognition
- broadening participation within the geosciences, specifically addressing implicit bias
- facilitating professional pathways of students within the geosciences
- Generate individual and team action plans for
- Enhancing your teaching;
- Strengthening your geoscience program; and
- Developing your plans for the regional workshop you will lead in the fall
- Learn more about the geoscience program(s) at their institution
- Learn about the SAGE 2YC project goals, the work of the Change Agents, and how these are related to work at their institution
- Support the faculty Change Agents in generating action plans for the geoscience program at their institution
- Individual Change Agent action plans that address the three project strands in their teaching, their programs, and on their campus
- Team action plans for engaging partners on campus and in the region to disseminate evidence-based practices in support of the project goals
- Materials from the workshop presentations and discussions suitable for inclusion in the SAGE 2YC website
The workshop will be held at the University of Wisconsin-Extension Conference Center in Madison, WI.