Building Strong Geoscience Programs at Two-Year Colleges
Monday, 10 December 2018 – 1:00-4:00 pm
American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, Washington DC
Workshop Leaders: Norlene Emerson (University of Wisconsin-Richland), Eric Baer (Highline College), and Heather Macdonald (College of William & Mary)
This workshop for educators from two-year colleges focuses on strategies to build strong geoscience programs in two-year colleges. The workshop will provide an opportunity for participants to analyze strengths and opportunities of their program, discuss alignment of program goals with institutional goals, and explore approaches for investigating program initiatives using success and completion data. The workshop will also present strategies to help programs develop a thriving community of students and faculty. These strategies might include approaches for attracting students to your program, instructional strategies that promote equity and support inclusion of all students, activities that prepare students for the professional workforce, and working with full- and part-time faculty in your program. Workshop participants will leave with specific practical strategies for their courses and programs and will develop and receive feedback on an action plan to strengthen their geoscience program.
- Consider strategies for building a strong geoscience program in a community college
- Explore approaches for using course-level outcomes data to identify opportunities, establish program goals, and select strategies for working towards program goals
- Share your expertise and experience and learn from the research base and from others at the workshop
- Develop and receive feedback on a plan to strengthen one or more aspects of your geoscience program
- Pre-workshop: Complete a pre-workshop assignment to prepare for the workshop
- During the workshop: Actively contribute to discussions and sessions at the workshop
- Post-workshop: Share ideas and strategies from the workshop with colleagues on your campus
This workshop is free to participants, thanks to funding from SAGE 2YC grants from the National Science Foundation.
SAGE 2YC and COACh have funds to support travel stipends to community college faculty to participate in this workshop on Monday afternoon December 10, the workshop on COAChing Two-year College Educators in Strategic Negotiations on Sunday December 9, and the AGU meeting. Apply for the SAGE 2YC travel stipend by the deadline of September 7, 2018 and the COACh registration and travel scholarship by September 7, 2018. COACh scholarships are awarded first-come, first-serve.
Registration is required to participate in the workshop. To do so, complete the online registration form by September 28, 2018. Later registrations will be accepted on a space-available basis.