Best practices to improve preparation of 2YC students for transfer
Illinois Valley Community College, Oglesby, IL
8:00 to 4:30, with a field trip 2:30 to 4:30
March 27, 2015
Registrationdeadline: March 22, 2015
- Identify the challenges in preparing 2YC students for a successful geoscience transfer to four-year college or university (4YCU) degree
- Share ideas for best practices to improve the preparation of 2YC students for a geoscience degree
- Identify and discuss current transfer agreements between 2YC and 4YCU geoscience departments in Illinois
- Foster development of a local network of faculty and department chairs interested in 2YC geoscience education
Continental breakfast, lunch, and snack provided.
Registration Fee covered by SAGE 2YC grant.
Fireplace Lounge, Illinois Valley Community College (Main Building), Oglesby, IL
For driving directions (including maps) please go to: Directions to IVCC
If you are planning to spend the night: Starved Rock Lodge is a good option and Oglesby & Peru have several hotels listed on travel web sites (such as expedia.com).
- Before the workshop: Please prepare ideas for discussion on the following topics by answering the questions on the registration page: characteristics of transfer students that help them succeed in completing a geoscience degree; challenges you see in transfer students; any experience you have with transfer agreements between 2YC and 4YCU geoscience departments
- During the workshop: Participate in sharing ideas, challenges, and successes of transfer students within your geoscience department. If you can, please bring a laptop to access websites during the workshop.
- After the workshop: Complete a survey on the effectiveness of the workshop, ways you may implement ideas learned at the workshop, and/or connections you made with other 2YC and 4YCU faculty and departments
Mike Phillips, Illinois Valley Community College (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Cheryl Resnick, Illinois Central College (email@example.com)
David Voorhees, Waubonsee Community College (firstname.lastname@example.org)
If you would like further information about the workshop, please contact one of conveners listed above.