Best Practices for Preparing Two- Year College (2YC) Students for Geoscience Degrees in Georgia 2013
University of North Georgia, Gainesville Campus, May 4th, 2013
This workshop has already taken place.
A workshop coordinated by Katayoun Mobasher and Joel Aquino of University of North Georgia (UNG), is part of the SAGE 2YC project which is funded by the National Science Foundation and co-sponsored by NAGT.
This workshop will be from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm on Saturday, May 4, 2013 at University of North Georgia, Gainesville Campus, Oakwood, Georgia.
Participants will share ideas about successful 2YC college transfer and geotechnical workforce programs and practices, as well as effective student research and internship programs for two-year college (2YC) students and faculty in Georgia. The workshop will be valuable for faculty and administrators from two-year colleges and from four-year colleges and universities who desire effective 2YC transfer programs with 2YCs.
The goals of this workshop are to:
- Share information about geoscience transfer programs and transfer bridge programs in Georgia.
- Identify the challenges in preparing 2YC students for a successful geoscience transfer in Georgia.
- Explore knowledge, skills, and attitudes needed for success of geoscience students to continue at a four year program in Georgia.
- Share ideas for successful strategies to improve the preparation of 2YC students for a geosciences degree in Georgia.
- Expand the network of geoscientists interested in promoting and supporting the preparation of 2YC geoscience students to transfer in Georgia.
The workshop starts at 9:00 am of Saturday May 4th, 2013 and will end at 1:00 pm of Saturday May 4th, 2013. A continental breakfast will be served at 8:30 am during registration.
Each workshop participant is expected to:
- During the workshop - participate in all activities from the beginning of the workshop at 9:00 AM on Sunsday, May 4, 2013 to the end of the workshop on 1:00 PM on Sunsday, May 4, 2013 .
- After the workshop - either individually or collectively implement something that has been learned at the workshop and help disseminate insights from the workshop to other geoscience educators.
There is no fee to attend this workshop. A continental breakfast and lunch will be provided.
Application and Selection Criteria
Complete the registration online and submit it no later than April 29, 2013. All applicants will be notified of the acceptance decision approximately two weeks after this deadline. Prior to the workshop, accepted applicants will be asked to fill out and submit an online registration form to confirm their attendance.
The workshop will take held at University of North Georgia, Gainesville Campus. We will meet at the geology laboratory which is equipped with computers.
Katayoun Mobasher, University of Northern Georgia (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Joel Aquino, University of Northern Georgia (email@example.com)
If you would like further information about the workshop, please contact one of conveners listed above.