In order to help you get the most out of the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion workshop, we ask that you do several things in advance. Here is a list of the preparatory activities and their deadlines.
By February 28th, 2019:
- Register for the workshop. Note: all accepted applicants need to register, and the registration form is not the same form as the application form that you have already filled out. Accepted applicants who do not register by February 28th will have their registration offered to a wait-listed applicant.
- Please make your travel plans and complete the travel information form so that you can attend the opening workshop session at 4:30pm on Wednesday, April 10, 2019. The workshop will not conclude until 3:00pm on Friday, April 12, and it is essential that you attend the full workshop, including the full day on Friday. Please do not schedule your return flight before 6:00pm on April 12 to allow for finishing the workshop and transport to the airport. For information on travel, lodging, ground transportation, and meals, see the logistics page and the information below.
- Reserve your hotel room if you plan on staying at the Crowne Plaza Chicago West Loop. A hotel block has been reserved - arriving on Wednesday, April 10th and departing on Friday, April 12th. Participants must make their own reservations. Reservations can be made online using this link or by phone (312-829-5000). When you make your reservation, please mention Group Code 'DEI' to receive the discounted group rate. There are a limited number of rooms available, so book your lodging early!
Prior to the workshop:
- Read and be prepared to discuss the following publications at the workshop. If you are unable to get access to these through your institution you can find them in the private Participant Workspace or by contacting Mitchell Awalt (mawalt AT carleton dot edu).
- Bernard, R. E., & Cooperdock, E. H. (2018). No progress on diversity in 40 years. Nature Geoscience, 11, 292–295.
- Callahan, C. N., LaDue, N. D., Baber, L. D., Sexton, J., van der Hoeven Kraft, K. J., & Zamani-Gallaher, E. M. (2017). Theoretical perspectives on increasing recruitment and retention of underrepresented students in the geosciences. Journal of Geoscience Education, 65(4), 563-576.
- Carabajal, I. G., Marshall, A. M., & Atchison, C. L. (2017). A synthesis of instructional strategies in geoscience education literature that address barriers to inclusion for students with disabilities. Journal of Geoscience Education, 65(4), 531-541.
- Geological Society of America Diversity in the Geosciences Community Position Statement
- Phillips, K. W. (2014). How diversity makes us smarter: Being around people who are different from us makes us more creative, more diligent, and harder-working. Scientific American, 311.
- Bring your laptop because we will use them in several of the workshop sessions.
After the workshop:
- Participants who received Workshop Stipends need to submit receipts for reimbursement within 45 days of the end of their travel.