Seismic Evaluation of Buildings
The Present activity provides the students to understand the vulnerability of their own houses. This exercise is part of the project based learning in a three credit subject called CLE 324 Natutal Disaster Mitigation and Management. Since the course is a University elective , students from different discipline will undergo this activity. So I made it a simplified methodology modified from FEMA 154.
- Students can understand the basics of seismic vulnerability analysis of buildings
- They have to physically go to the building and do the survey
- The output will be the very useful material for them whether they have to go for further retrofitting of their own houses or not
- The activity is litlle related to civil engineering students, its good opportunity to discuss other disciplines students who undergoing this subject and they can easily do the exercise.
- This analysis will give a idea of whether the students own house is safe from earthquakes, if it is not there, they can go for retrofitting of the house.
- Ultimately students can apply their learning in to real life that too their own family.
Context for Use
The total strength of the class is 65.
This is part of the Project based learning system in a FFCS Course.The total time for this activity is one month. This activity will be taught in the class as part of earthquake risk Mitigation Chapter. Since the activity is for the seismic evaluation of the students their own home, Students shows more interest.
Description and Teaching Materials
Teaching Notes and Tips
References and Resources
- FEMA-310 Handbook for the Seismic Evaluation of Buildings, 1998
- Review of Documents on Seismic Evaluation of Existing Buildings by Dr. Durgesh C. Rai, Dept of Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur
- A National Policy for Seismic Vulnerability Assessment of Buildings and Procedure for Rapid Visual Screening of Buildings for Potential Seismic Vulnerability by Prof. Ravi Sinha and Prof. Alok Goyal Department of Civil Engineering Indian Institute of Technology Bombay