In order to help you get the most out of the Pan-African Approaches to Teaching Geoscience workshop, we ask that you do several things in advance. Here is a list of the preparatory activities and their deadlines.
By May 9, 2017:
- Register for the workshop. Note that all accepted applicants need to register, and the registration form is not the same form as the application form that you have already filled out.
- Please make your travel plans and complete the travel information form so that you can attend the opening workshop session at 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, May 23, 2017, with a reception and keynote presentation. The workshop will not conclude until 2:00 p.m. on Thursday, May 25, and it is essential that you attend the full workshop. For information on travel, lodging, ground transportation, and meals, see the logistics page and the information below.
- Remember that participants are responsible for coordinating their own transportation to and from the workshop.
- The workshop will be held at Morehouse College in Atlanta, Georgia, approximately 20 minutes from the Atlanta International Airport.
- As the workshop approaches, we will provide you with a list of participant arrival times so that you can arrange to share ground transportation.
- Submit one of the following: teaching activity, essay, or syllabus. The conveners will use the submitted materials to help determine which participants will present their work during the panels and sessions.
- Teaching Activity
Prior to the workshop:
- Upload your presentation file if you are giving an oral presentation at the workshop. This will give you an on-site backup copy and will allow us to post your presentation on the website. You should still plan to bring a copy of your file with you. You will have the option of giving your presentation from your own computer, or you may use one of our laptops (both PCs and Macs will be available).
- Read all of the essays and become familiar with the activities or syllabi submitted by your fellow workshop participants.
- Bring your laptop because we will use them in several of the workshop sessions.
After the workshop:
- Participants need to submit receipts for reimbursement by June 25, 2017.