Supporting Diversity in Two-Year College Geoscience Programs: Broadening Participation of Underrepresented Groups
November 3, 2018 8:30 am - 4:30 pm in Indianapolis, IN-- in Conjunction with GSA's 2018 Annual Meeting.
The workshop/short course was held in the JW Marriott Indianapolis Hotel, room 107. The hotel address is: 10 S West Street, Indianapolis, IN.
Short Course Goals
- Consider strategies for attracting diverse students to your two-year college geoscience courses and helping them thrive
- Explore approaches for using course-level outcomes data to identify opportunities for developing more equitable, inclusive teaching practices
- Select strategies for fostering students' sense of belonging and inclusion.
- Develop an action plan for supporting diversity in your teaching and program
Saturday, November 3, 2018
8:30-8:40 Welcome and Introductions
Introduction Slides (Acrobat (PDF) 889kB Oct30 18)
8:40-10:30 Attracting Diverse Students to Your Geoscience Program and Helping Them Thrive
10:30 - 10:45 Break
10:45-11:45 Using Course-Level Outcomes Data to Identify Opportunities for Broadening Participation of Underrepresented Groups
- Using Course-Level Outcomes Data session slides (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 146kB Nov3 18)
1:00-2:45 Strategies for Building Classroom Environments that Foster Students' Sense of Belonging and Inclusion
3:00- 4:20 Reflecting on Instructional Choices and Action Planning
4:20-4:30 Closing remarks and Evaluation