Sunday February 20 , 2016
Room 211-213, Ernest N. Morial Convention Center, New Orleans, LA
2:00 - 2:15 Welcome, goals and introductions
2:15 - 2:45 Importance and Challenges (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 406kB Feb11 16)
- Why is this topic important for us and the profession?
- What are the challenges to improving career preparation on your campus?
2:45 – 3:10 Resources for ocean careers (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 11.1MB Feb11 16)
3:10 – 4:00 Addressing the Challenges - Strategies that Work
- How do we address this topic with our students?
- How do we use the career resources? What can we do in our classes? Homework and assignments? In extracurricular activities? Internships and research experiences?
- How do we facilitate successful transfer for students planning an ocean science career
- What do faculty need to help them succeed in improving a student's understanding of an ocean science career?
4:00 – 4:25 Increasing Diversity in the Geosciences (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 19.2MB Feb11 16)
4:25 – 4:50 The Importance of Research/Intern Experiences (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 8.8MB Feb11 16)
4:45 Workshop Evaluation and OS Meeting Details
This workshop is supported by NSF Grants OCE- 0731338 and DUE-1122640 to Jan Hodder