Overview and Logistics
This workshop is designed to bring regional geoscience faculty together to share experiences and learn about evidence-based practices to improve student success. The workshop will include presentations, group discussions, and opportunities for collaboration among the participants. Part of the workshop will be devoted to participants working on an aspect of their own courses that they want to improve.
- Develop alignment between one of your course objectives and appropriate learning activities/assessments
- Discover new methods to broaden participation of diverse groups of students in geoscience
- Explore career pathways, internships, and other opportunities for North Carolina geoscience students
- Continue to build collaboration and communication among regional faculty interested in 2YC geoscience education
Date and times
The workshop will take place on Friday, October 19, 2018, starting at 9:00 am and ending at 4:30 pm.
Each workshop participant is expected to:
- In advance of the workshop - Register for the workshop by answering all of the questions on the Registration Form. In addition, all participants are expected to bring a learning objective, activity, and assessment for a course that they would like to further develop during the workshop.
- During the workshop - Participate in all workshop activities from 9:00 am until 4:30 pm on Friday, October 19, 2018.
- Following the workshop - Implement something that has been learned at the workshop and help disseminate insights from the workshop to other geoscience educators.
This workshop is free to participants, thanks to funding from the National Science Foundation.
Anyone interested in geoscience education at 2YCs is welcome to participate in this one-day workshop, including both adjunct and full-time faculty at regional 2YCs, as well as others who find the workshop themes valuable.
Facilities, Directions, and Parking
The workshop will be held on the South Campus of Wake Tech Community College: https://www.waketech.edu/about-wake-tech/campuses-centers/southern-wake
The workshop sessions will take place in Buildings B and D: https://www.waketech.edu/about-wake-tech/campuses-centers/southern-wake-campus/campus-map
We will meet in Building D Room 210 starting at 9:00 am, and we will finish by 4:30 pm.
Parking: Participants who are not Wake Tech employees will be emailed a visitor parking pass prior to the workshop.
Lunch and snacks will be provided to participants.