Overview and Logistics
This workshop is designed to bring regional geoscience faculty together to share experiences and learn about evidence-based practices to improve student success. The workshop will include presentations, group discussions, and opportunities for collaboration among the participants.
- Learn how to introduce metacognition strategies to your students
- Explore active learning techniques to improve student learning
- Investigate on-campus resources that support student success
- Continue to build collaboration and communication among regional faculty interested in 2YC geoscience education
Date and times
The workshop will take place on Friday, October 14, 2016, starting at 9:00 am and ending at 4:30 pm.
Each workshop participant is expected to:
- In advance of the workshop - Register for the workshop by answering all of the questions on the Registration Form.
- During the workshop - Participate in all workshop activities from 9:00 am until 4:30 pm on Friday, October 14, 2016.
- Following the workshop - Implement something that has been learned at the workshop and help disseminate insights from the workshop to other geoscience educators.
This workshop is free to participants, thanks to funding from the National Science Foundation.
Anyone interested in geoscience education at 2YCs is welcome to participate in this one-day workshop, including both adjunct and full-time faculty at regional 2YCs, as well as others who find the workshop themes valuable.
Register for the workshop on or before Monday, October 10, 2016.
Facilities, Directions, and Parking
The workshop will be held on the Main Campus of Wake Tech Community College: Map and Directions
The workshop sessions will take place in the Pucher-LeMay (PLM) and Library Education (LE) Buildings: Campus Map
We will meet in PLM Room 241 starting at 9:00 am, and we will finish by 4:30 pm.
Classes will not be in session on the day of the workshop, so ample parking will be available close to the buildings. Participants may park in any unmarked spaces on campus.
Lunch and snacks will be provided to participants.