Supporting Academic Success in the Geosciences at Southern California Two-Year Colleges
Friday, December 2, 2016
8:30-9:00 Registration; Continental breakfast
9:00-9:30 Introduction Introduction (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 8.3MB Nov20 16)
- NSF-Funded Agents of Change Project
9:30-10:00 What does student success look like?
- Participants will explore what student success looks like to themselves, their geoscience program, and their institution.
10:00 -11:00 Strengthen students' study skills using metacognition Metacognition Presentation (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 5.5MB Dec1 16)
- Participants will be introduced to ways they can explicitly incorporating metacognitive strategies into their classroom to teach students "how" to learn and succeed in class.
11:15-12:00 Group work: What learning strategies do you use that are working?
12:00-1:00 Working Lunch
- An opportunity to hear some students share past and current transfer experiences
- Introduction to this afternoons transfer activities
1:00-1:45 Gallery Walk
- Geoscience faculty and counselors share institution specific transfer challenges and provide solutions for other teams
1:45-2:45 Roadmap to transfer success:
- Work with your school's counselor to draft a course roadmap for transfer to UC, CSU, and nearby private colleges
3:00-3:30 Geoscience degree discussion
- Examine requirements for your internal geoscience degrees
- Participants will have an opportunity to record what they will take away from the day's activities and consider how they will use it at their own institution.