Overview and Logistics
Outcomes associated with this one-day workshop include achieving the following :
- Bring together members of southern California's Two-Year College (2YC) geoscience community to share and discuss strategies that promote student success.
- Explore ways to support the academic success of all students using metacognition and effective, student-centered pedagogies that go beyond lecture and promote student engagement.
- 2YC faculty and counselors will establish institution-specific curricular pathways to facilitate 2YC student transfer to 4YCUs.
Date and times
Friday, December 2, 2016
8:30 AM - 4 PM
Workshop participants are expected to:
- Before November 4:
- Invite a transfer counselor from your school to join us from 12:00-4:00 (working lunch and afternoon portion of the workshop on transfer-related issues)
- Make sure that your counseling workshop partner completes the online registration form.
- Before the workshop:
- Please bring a laptop if possible for use during the workshop.
- Geoscience faculty:
- Be prepared to discuss resources and/or strategies that you currently utilize in your courses to promote active learning and/or metacognition.
- Bring general information about geoscience students' transfer statistics at your institution.
- Bring and/or be able to access information about geoscience and supporting science courses offered at your institution.
- Bring general information about students' transfer statistics at your institution (examples: number of students transferring, most common transfer institutions, GPA, etc.) We are particularly interested in STEM students.
- Bring information about any workshops, events, programs, etc. to facilitate student transfer that exist at your institution.
- Bring and/or be able to access information about general education transfer requirements, articulation agreements, degree requirements, etc.
- During the workshop:
- Geoscience faculty: participate in all workshop sessions (8:30-4:00.)
- Counselors: participate in afternoon workshop sessions (12:00-4:00.)
- Develop a personal action plan.
- Complete a brief end-of-workshop evaluation survey.
- After the workshop:
- There will be a spring 2017 follow-up activity to be determined. This will be a virtual activity (as opposed to the face-to-face workshop for which you are currently registering.)
This workshop is free to participants, thanks to funding from grants from the National Science Foundation.
This workshop is open to southern California 2YC geoscience faculty and academic counselors at 2YCs. Each participating institution must have at least one geoscience faculty member and one counselor. Workshop registration is on a first-come first-served basis; a wait list will be available in the event that the workshop reaches capacity.
Register for the workshop on or before November 4, 2016.
Facilities, Directions, and Parking
The workshop will be convened at Mt. San Antonio College, 1100 N. Grand Ave., Walnut, CA 91789. Driving directions, a campus map, and a guest parking permit will be provided once you register.
A continental breakfast and lunch will be provided. Please indicate on the registration form if you have any dietary restrictions or requests.