Spring 2018 Southern California 2YC Geoscience Virtual Gathering
Date: Friday, March 30, 2018, 1-2 PM (PST)
Location: This will be a one-hour, virtual meeting conducted using Zoom. After registration, we will send you details about how to meet online.
Registration Deadline: Please register by Monday, March 26, 2018. There are no fees associated with this event.
This virtual meeting will provide an opportunity to continue conversations about student success at 2YCs in southern California. We hope that everyone who participated in the August 2017 retreat can share something new that they have tried in their own classroom. There will be a chance to discuss any challenges that you are facing in implementing your action plans that you developed at the August workshop.
Please complete the online registration form by March 26, 2018. It includes specific questions about what you have tried, or plan to try, in your classrooms. It also gives you a chance to suggest topics for future workshops. There is no cost to participate in this follow-up activity, but registration is required. After registration, we will send you details about how to meet online.
In preparation for the meeting, please plan to introduce yourself to the group by providing your name, institution, and courses that you teach, followed by a description of at least one new activity that you've tried, how you think it worked with your students, and whether or not you would use it again in your teaching. Some of the new activities that we discussed in the August 2017 workshop include (not an exhaustive list!) exam wrappers, think-pair-share, gallery walks, minute papers, brainstorming, and clickers.
- Introductions of conveners and participants, including two new Faculty Change Agents from Pasadena City College, Martha House and Michael Vendrasco
- Reminder of SAGE2YC project goals:
- Support the academic success of all students;
- Promote professional pathways of students into geoscience;
- Broaden participation in the geosciences; and
- Continue building a southern California network of 2YC geoscience faculty
- Brief overview of August 2017 workshop highlights and outcomes.
- Discussion (largely depends on what participants indicate as "of interest")
- Examples: Hear from individuals who have tried new classroom strategies (including adaptations), discuss successes and challenges, talk about program level changes, discuss topics of interest for future workshops
- Event Evaluation
Dave Mrofka, Mt. San Antonio College
Elizabeth Nagy-Shadman, Pasadena City College
Becca Walker, Mt. San Antonio College