Overview and Logistics
1. Provide an update on the Faculty as Change Agents Project
Â· Explain the project's goals in terms of
Â· Supporting Student Success
Â· Broadening Participation
Â· Facilitating Professional Pathways
2. Encourage participants to Incorporate active learning techniques in their geography, geology, and meteorology courses
Â· Introduce multiple teaching techniques
Â· Provide practical examples for incorporating them in a classroom
Â· Elicit examples from participants on how they either have or could use such techniques.
3. Explore how we can enhance existing pathways for students entering the geosciences.
Â· Speculate on how we may "trailblaze" new pathways
Date and times
The workshop will take place on Friday, 28 October 2016, starting at 9:00 am and ending at 3:30 pm.
Workshop participants are expected to:
- Before the workshop: Please bring links to any useful web sites and practical examples of your use of active learning techniques.
- During the workshop: Participate in all the day's activities, engage in stimulating discussions about our role as instructors and scientists in shaping the future of our disciplines, and complete the end of workshop evaluation survey.
- After the workshop: Become more creative in your use of active learning methods and continue investigating how we can improve professional pathways for our students (improve transferability of our classes to regional 4-year schools).
This workshop is free to participants, thanks to funding from the National Science Foundation. Travel expenses will be reimbursed by the UW Colleges Geography/Geology Department.
All members of the UW Colleges Geography/Geology Department are encouraged to attend this workshop.
Register for the workshop on or before Friday, 21 October 2016.
Facilities, Directions, and Parking
The workshop will be held in room H204 at UW-Manitowoc (Mel Johnson's classroom/lab). Directions and parking: http://manitowoc.uwc.edu/about/overview/directions-parking, and a campus map:http://manitowoc.uwc.edu/about/overview/campus-map
Lunch will be provided. Please contact Mel Johnson (email@example.com) if you have any special dietary needs or requests.