Engaging Active Minds
Promoting the Geosciences in the Western Great Lakes Region
Friday, 21 April 2017 (Time: TBD)
UW-Fond du Lac (Geography/Geology Department Meeting)
This "meeting within a meeting" will primarily serve as a follow-up to last October's SAGE 2YC workshop, which was attended by a few of your department colleagues. It is also intended to function as a way to explore the enhancement and expansion of the following project goals:
- supporting the academic success of all students;
- promoting professional pathways of students into geoscience; and
- broadening participation in the geosciences.
Furthermore, October workshop participants will demonstrate ways in which active learning methods have been applied in classrooms; we will critique and discuss the relative merits of these teaching innovations; and we will seek new ways in which active learning methods can be applied in geoscience instruction. We will also recognize and examine the pivotal role our department plays in Wisconsin's college-level geoscience education, and discuss any possible partnerships we should be pursuing.
Registration Deadline: If you are a department member, consider yourself registered.
- Active Learning in Action! Participants from Fall 2016 Workshop (4-minute presentation)
- Beth Johnson
- Mike Jurmu
- Bruce Smith (tentative)
- Mel Johnson
- Keith West
- Questions / Comments
- How Do We Expand Our Impact? Who Else Should Be a Part of This Effort?
- 4-Year Faculty?
- High School Teachers?
- The UP?
- Fall 2017 Workshop
- What Would Help Us Promote the Geosciences?
Be prepared for a lively examination of what we teach; why we teach what we teach; and what we might possibly do that could improve the whole process.