Overview and Logistics
This is a working workshop that focuses on strategies that build a strong geoscience department. We will focus on what a strong geoscience department looks like from start to finish, recruitment to transfer. This workshop will consist of the sharing and generating of ideas for recruitment, transfer, and student success. Participants are expected to bring in learning activities that are currently in use, as well as ones that are still in developmental-mode and could use feedback. In addition to the working parts of the workshop, we will have a guest speaker, Dr. Lee Ann Nutt, President of LSC-Tomball, who will discuss her work on the impact student beliefs have on their ability to be successful in college and beyond. The workshop will conclude with a discussion of regional network sustainability.
- Develop best practices for strong geoscience departments
- Learn about the work of other workshop participants
- Discuss and plan for sustainability beyond the SAGE 2YC project
- Further foster the 2YC geoscience instructors' community in southeastern Texas.
Date and times
The workshop will take place on Friday, February 21st, 2020 starting at 8:00 AM and ending at 4:00 PM.
Workshop participants are expected to:
- Bring a laptop to the workshop
- Bring one or more examples of both: active learning activities that you have created since the SAGE workshops began and one activity in development.
- Participate in all sessions, and complete the end of workshop evaluation survey
This workshop is free to participants, thanks to funding from the National Science Foundation.
Any geoscience faculty member (full-time or part-time) teaching at a two-year college in southeastern Texas is eligible to attend the workshop. Register early, space is limited.
Register for the workshop on or before February 14th, 2020.
Facilities, Directions, and Parking
The workshop will occur at Lone Star College - Tomball (30555 State Highway 249, Houston, TX 77375). Workshop will occur in Room W205, west wing on the second floor.
Light breakfast, lunch, and refreshments will be provided.