Overview and Logistics
This workshop explores successful strategies for teaching geoscience to all students in the same classroom. Presentations at this workshop summarize strategies for active learning, metacognition, and GRIT to support students both inside and outside of the classroom. Attendees will participate in both small and large group discussions, collaborating with colleagues from the southeast Texas region, and develop an action plan for improving student success in their classroom.
- Demonstrate and explore active learning activities applicable to Physical and Historical Geology and other geoscience courses.
- Introduce cognitive science research-based learning strategies that help all students experience meaningful, transferable learning.
- Formulate specific actions to improve student success in geoscience courses and programs at your institution.
- Establish a community for 2YC geoscience instructors in southeastern Texas to continue discussions on topics from the workshop.
Date and times
The workshop will take place on Friday, October 14, 2016 starting at 8:00 AM and ending at 4:00 PM.
Workshop participants are expected to:
- During the workshop: participate in all sessions, develop an action plan, and complete the end of workshop evaluation survey
- After the workshop: submit at the end of the spring 2017 semester reflections on action plans
This workshop is free to participants, thanks to funding from the National Science Foundation.
Any geoscience faculty member (full-time or part-time) teaching at a two-year college in southeastern Texas is eligible to attend the workshop. Register early, space is limited.
Register for the workshop on or before October 3, 2016.
Facilities, Directions, and Parking
The workshop will occur at Lone Star College - University Park (20515 State Highway 249, Houston, TX 77070). Workshop will occur in the Nebula Room in Building 11 on the first floor. Room B11.146.
Park in parking garage 10 (http://www.lonestar.edu/maps-universitypark.htm).
Breakfast, lunch, and refreshments will be provided.