Northern California 2019 Regional Workshop Program
Saturday, April 27th, 2019
9:30-10:00 Coffee and Snacks
10:00-10:15 Introduction to workshop and goals, and introductions of leaders and participants.
10:15-11:15 Active learning and collaborative approaches in introductory Earth and environmental science classes.
- Introduction and facilitation by Christopher DiLeonardo De Anza College.
- Sharing of activities from our own classes.
- A gallery walk about best approaches to broadening participation in an active learning environment.
11:15-12:15 Teaching students in the field: sharing our best sites and insights.
- Sharing our best field experiences.
- Resources: https://nagt.org/nagt/teaching_resources/field/index.html
12:15-1:00 Lunch and informal discussion on active learning strategies.
1:00-2:15 Creating cross-campus connections of 2-year geoscience faculty and students.
- Presentation and vision
- Building bridges across the Bay Area: networking amongst our 2-year colleges.
2:30-3:45 Connecting to university programs and transfer pathways.
- Pannel discussion and presentations
- Questions and answers regarding ways to broaden participation and prepare 2YC students for the major in the geosciences.
3:45-4:00 Workshop evaluation and closing remarks