Overview and Logistics
This workshop is intended to continue our efforts to facilitate better collaboration among the two-year college faculty in the Earth Sciences and allow for sharing ideas on instruction, broadening participation and improving the transfer experience of our students interested in the Earth Sciences.
1. To continue to grow the base network of local 2-year college faculty in the San Francisco Bay Area.
2. To discuss and collaborate on evidence-based best practices in promoting majoring in the Earth Scieneces and fostering inclusion and diversity in our instructional programs.
3. Build networking opportunities for students between Bay Area colleges and with transfer institutions.
Date and times
Saturday April 27th from 9:30 am to 4:00 pm
Workshop participants are expected to:
- Before the workshop: Pull together some of your best activities or approaches for in class, laboratory, and field activities to share at the workshop.
- During the workshop: Participate in all sessions and complete the end of workshop evaluation survey.
- After the workshop: Beyond developing the broader network discussed in the workshop, participants will be asked to complete a post-workshop survey later in the academic year.
This workshop is free to participants, thanks to funding from the National Science Foundation. Lunch is included.
The workshop is open to all community college faculty in the San Francisco Bay Area, including Full and Part-time faculty. Faculty from across the earth and environmental sciences, including Geology, Oceanography, Meteorology, Physical Geography, GIS, and Environmental Science are encouraged to attend this workshop.
Facilities, Directions, and Parking
We will be meeting at the Kirsch Center for Environmental Studies on the De Anza Campus. The center is located immediately through the South Entrance off of McClellan Road. The best available parking will be located in Parking Lot D immediately next to the Kirsch Center. See campus map: http://www.deanza.edu/map/ Do not pay for parking. Parking passes will be provided the day of the workshop.
Lunch and refreshments will be provided. If you have dietary restrictions or preferences, please notify us when you register for the workshop.