Active Learning in Action: Spring 2017 Follow-on to November Workshop
Option 1: Friday May 12 from 3:00 - 5:00
Highland Stillhouse Whisky Pub
201 S. Second St.
Oregon City, OR 97045
Option 2: Friday May 19 th from 12:00 - 1:30
Online via Zoom meeting
It's been five months since our workshop (Hood to Coast) at Mount Hood Community College, and it's time to gather together and discuss any changes that transpired as a result of our workshop on November 5th. We are excited to share activities that we have incorporated into our classrooms, with our programs, and at our colleges. We are even more excited to see what things you may have attempted or are planning to try at your institution as well. Most importantly, we look forward to meeting up with each of you again as we strengthen our Pacific Northwest regional geoscience community of college instructors at the 2YC and 4YC institutions from our area. If you cannot make this face to face event, or it is too far to travel, we are offering an alternative option online using Zoom Meeting on Friday, May 19th from Noon - 1:30.
- Share active learning strategies (Jigsaw, Think-Pair-Share, Lecture Tutorials, The Wrapper, Collaborative Documents, Cooperative Exams, Muddiest Point, Concept Tests, etc.) you may have tried.
- Show which storm-water concepts you may have incorporated into your classroom.
- Explain Oceanographic active learning resources (NANOOS, SERC, MATE, BRIDGE, Hands-On Oceanography, etc.) you added to your lesson plans.
- Learn what others are doing to incorporate SAGE 2YC goals into their classroom, program, and institution.
- Continue building a regional network of 2YC geoscience faculty and others who support the SAGE 2YC project goals:
- support the academic success of all students;
- promote professional pathways of students into geoscience; and
- broaden participation in the geosciences.
The meeting is free but registration is required.
Registration Deadline: May 8 th, 2017
If you have any new or modified laboratory experiments, demonstrations, activities, PowerPoints or other educational materials as a result of our workshop, plan to make a hard copy print out of your materials, please have those ready to be shared in advance. If you are not attending the face-to-face meeting, please upload copies of any materials to the registration page where it states upload files in the questions section.