Northern California 2017 Regional Workshop Program
Saturday, October 7, 2017
FACULTY ONLY SESSION (MORNING)
10:10-11:15 Discussion and Sharing Effective Classroom Teaching at 2-Year Colleges, Thornton Hall, Room 604
This session is an opportunity for us to share our approaches in the classroom. Sharing activities, active learning approaches, as approaches to assessment. Please be prepared to share and discuss.
Facilitators: Christopher DiLeonardo and Bridget James
- Discussion: Teaching and learning techniques and methods: what really works for you?
11:15-12:15 Creating cross-campus connections of 2-year geoscience faculty and students, Thornton Hall, Room 604
- Roundtable discussion on promoting interactions between 2-year campuses and with 4-year institutions.
- Discussion and building a virtual department.
- How do we support a handful of geoscience majors across our campuses?
- What specialized courses are available at our colleges that could benefit students from other campuses?
12:15-1:15 Working Lunch and informal discussion on active learning strategies. Thornton Hall, Room 604
FACULTY AND STUDENT JOINT SESSION (AFTERNOON)
1:15-1:30 Welcome Thornton Hall, Room 604
- Welcome from Workshop leaders Christopher DiLeonardo and Bridget James.
- Welcome from Host Department Chair Petra Dekens, Earth and Climate Sciences Department, San Francisco State University.
1:30-2:30 Connecting to university programs and transfer pathways, Room Thornton Hall, Room 604
- Majoring in the geosciences, what should a transfer student expect?
- The Earth and Climate Sciences Department at San Francisco State University's undergraduate programs.
Presenter: Petra Dekens, Earth and Climate Sciences Department, San Francisco State University
2:45-4:00 Research at San Francisco State University and the Undergraduate Student, Thornton Hall, Room 604
Presenters: To be announced
4:00-4:30 Workshop evaluation and closing remarks