Northern California 2016 Regional Workshop Program
Saturday, October 22, 2016
9:00-9:15 Introduction to workshop and goals, and introductions of leaders and participants, Room S44
9:15-10:15 Active learning approaches in introductory geoscience classes.
- Presentation on strategies in active learning by Christopher DiLeonardo De Anza College.
- A gallery walk about gallery walks, engaging in active learning.
- Resources: http://serc.carleton.edu/introgeo/gallerywalk/active.html
10:15-11:15 Best practices in teaching online geoscience classes, Room S44
- Presentation: Bridget James, Earth and Climate Sciences Department, San Francisco State University
- Gallery walk: Active Learning in the Online Virtual Classroom
- Resources: https://cvc.edu/ http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/online/index.html
11:15-12:15 Strategies to promote student learning and success, metacognition is the key, Room S44
- Video Presentation: Saundra McGuire, Center for Academic Success, Louisiana State University
- Discussion of success strategies and challenges in our classes and the 2-year college setting.
12:15-1:15 Lunch and informal discussion on active learning strategies. Campus Center Patio
1:15-2:30 Creating cross-campus connections of 2-year geoscience faculty and students, Room S44
- Presentation and vision
- Discussion and building a virtual department.
2:45-4:15 Connecting to university programs and transfer pathways, Room S44
- Pannel discussion and presentations
- Questions and answers regarding major preparation and transfer
4:15-4:30 Workshop evaluation and closing remarks