- Educating our educators on active learning practices (ie, Student centered learning and non-traditional learning methods)
- Increase student engagement and diversity in programs (sharing SAGE2YC data, discuss methods for incorporating inclusivity and diversity)
- Inform our instructors about how to implement effective course design methods
Pre-workshop survey: 10-15 minutes
2-2:10p: Workshop Introduction
2:10-2:25p: Breakout Session 1: Active Learning Strategy Evaluation
- Participants will be split into groups and assigned to a poster with information about a particular active learning strategy.
- Poster: Collaborative Documents (Acrobat (PDF) 1.1MB Feb6 19)
- Poster: ConcepTest (Acrobat (PDF) 301kB Feb6 19)
- Poster: Cooperative Exams (Acrobat (PDF) 138kB Feb6 19)
- Poster: Gallery Walk (Acrobat (PDF) 317kB Feb6 19)
- Poster: Jigsaw (Acrobat (PDF) 991kB Feb6 19)
- Poster: Minute Paper (Acrobat (PDF) 126kB Feb6 19)
- Poster: Think-Pair-Share (Acrobat (PDF) 239kB Feb6 19)
- Poster: Worksheets/Lecture Tutorials (Acrobat (PDF) 506kB Feb6 19)
- Poster: Wrappers (Acrobat (PDF) 173kB Feb6 19)
- All Posters (Acrobat (PDF) 3MBFeb6 19)
2:25-2:30p: Jigsaw Activity Explanation in Main Room
2:30-2:55p: Breakout Session 2: Active Learning Jigsaw Activity
- Participants are assigned a new breakout group.
- Teach your colleagues about the strategy you learned about in breakout session 1.
2:55-3p: Gallery Walk Explanation in Main Room
3-3:20p: Breakout Session 3: Gallery Walk
- Participants will return back to the same group from breakout 2
- Each group will be assigned a color
- Each group will answer the following questions and/or add onto previous group's answers:
- When would the technique be especially useful?
- For what courses/topics might the technique not work as well?
- How much preparation before class does the technique require?
3:20-3:30p: Debriefing & Individual Reflection, Workshop Evaluation
- Which active learning strategy would you like to implement in your classroom?
3:30p - End
Detailed information about teaching with active learning strategies are available through Pedagogy in Action:
Additional pedagogical resources are available via the Teach the Earth portal for Earth education resources, including
Note: Additional references are cited in the presentation and the posters.
Ambrose, S.A., Bridges, M.W., DiPietro, M., Lovett, M.C., & Norman, M.K. (2010) How Learning Works: 7 Research-Based Principles for Smart Teaching
Handelsman, J.S. Miller & Pfund, C. (2007). Scientific Teaching.
Wiggins, G. & McTighe, J. (2006). Understanding by Design.
More info coming soon!
More info coming soon!