Resources for Teaching, on the SERC Website
Compiled by Carol Ormand, SERC, for the 2015 workshop for Early Career Faculty in the Geosciences
Of special interest for early career faculty
- The early career geoscience faculty website has a set of pages about efficient, effective teaching: how to teach well, without it taking over your life
- Designing Effective and Innovative Courses
On specific topics
- The On the Cutting Edge project, of which this workshop is a part, has modules on a wide range of courses and topics
On teaching methods
- Pedagogy in Action aims to help faculty put into practice in the classroom what we've learned from research on learning. It includes detailed descriptions of the what, why and how of various teaching methods and has a collection of examples of teaching activities using each method.
- On the Cutting Edge has run a number of webinars on effective teaching methods
On teaching a concept or skill across multiple courses
- The InTeGrate project is all about teaching about sustainability across the curriculum, and includes information on how to teach sustainability as well as modules and courses that you can adopt or adapt for your classroom.
- The Math You Need, When You Need It is a set of math tutorials for students in introductory geoscience courses.
On teaching in particular situations
- Large, Introductory Geoscience Classes
- At Two-Year Colleges
- On the First Day of Class
- Teaching Urban Students
- Teaching In the Field