The program will begin on Sunday evening, July 26, 2015 at 5:00 PM. The workshop will conclude after dinner on Thursday evening, July 30. There is an optional visit to the National Science Foundation on July 31. Participants who go to NSF are encouraged to fly out of Washington, DC, but they may choose to return to William and Mary for an additional night if needed.
Workshop Check-In: Sunday, July 26
- Workshop Check-in: Will take place on Sunday, July 26 from 3:00-5:00pm in the lobby of the One Tribe Place dorm; workshop registration for later arrivals will be at the Sadler Center during dinner and the evening program. Participant notebooks and name tags will be distributed at check-in. One Tribe Place is at 415 Richmond Road in Williamsburg, VA. Campus map is here.
- Dorm Check-in: Workshop participants will be staying in One Tribe Place at 415 Richmond Road, Williamsburg. Guests arriving on Saturday, July 25th can check into the dorm at the Conference Services Info Desk at the Sadler Center (200 stadium Drive, Williamsburg) any time after 4pm. The keys will be at the Info Desk until 10pm. If you are arriving early on July 26th you can pick up the keys from the Info Desk at the Sadler Center until 2pm.
From 3pm to 5pm on Sunday, July 26th workshop check-in and dorm check-in will be in the lobby of One Tribe Place and will move to the Tidewater room of the Sadler Center during dinner and the evening program.
Anyone arriving after 10pm on July 25th or 26th will have to call 757-221-4084 and a member of the Conference Services staff will deliver your room keys to One Tribe Place.
If you cannot arrive on Sunday in time for the 5 PM opening session and dinner, please plan to travel on Saturday and indicate that you are doing so on your travel information form. Under these circumstances, we will arrange for housing for you on Saturday night.
Optional NSF Trip
We are offering an optional one-day trip to the National Science Foundation on Friday, July 31. We will provide transportation to and from NSF, but we encourage you to fly out of DC on Friday night. If you need to return to Williamsburg for Friday night, there is an additional charge for accommodations.
The NSF visit will begin with an orientation session followed by small group meetings with program officers. Following that, NSF staff will offer group sessions on some specific NSF programs and you will be able to meet individually with NSF program officers. This NSF trip is optional, but we encourage everyone, including faculty from two-year colleges, to attend.
If you opt to stay in DC on Friday night , then you will be responsible for finding accommodations and paying for your extended stay.
Participants are responsible for their travel to and from the workshop.
Transportation to Williamsburg by Air
Three airports serve the Williamsburg area: Richmond, Newport News, and Norfolk.
It is easier to travel to Williamsburg from Richmond or Newport News than from Norfolk, so unless the schedule or fares are significantly better in Norfolk, we encourage you to arrive in Richmond or Newport News. The Richmond airport is approximately 50 minutes by car from Williamsburg, the Newport News Patrick Henry Airport is about 20 minutes by car, and the Norfolk airport is one hour (or more depending on tunnel traffic).
Although you are responsible for your transportation to and from the airport, once we have travel information for all participants we will provide a list of arrival times so participants arriving at the same airport can coordinate transportation to Williamsburg if they wish.
- Richmond International Airport Ground Transportation:
- Tidewater Coach (757-218-9539) costs one way/0 round trip for single passengers. If there are two riders they charge each. Click on the link to make your reservation online. Tidewater Coach requires reservations be made at least a day in advance but more notice is better.
- Taxicabs, if shared, may also be a reasonably priced alternative. Williamsburg Taxi (757-221-0004) will pick up and drop off at the Richmond airport. The cost is approximately 0 one-way for up to 3 people.
- Newport News Patrick Henry Airport Ground Transportation:
- Tidewater Coach (757-218-9539) costs one way/ round trip for single passengers. If there are two riders they charge each. Click on the link to make your reservation online. Tidewater Coach requires reservations be made at least a day in advance but more notice is better.
- Taxicabs, if shared, may also be a reasonably priced alternative for your return to the airport as they are approximately one-way. Williamsburg Taxi (757-221-0004)
- Norfolk International Airport Ground Transportation:
- Tidewater Coach (757-218-9539) costs 5 one way for single passengers. If there are two riders they charge each. Click on the link to make your reservation online. Tidewater Coach requires reservations be made at least a day in advance but more notice is better.
- Taxicabs, if shared, may also be a reasonably priced alternative for your return to the airport as they are approximately 0 one-way. Williamsburg Taxi (757-221-0004)
Transportation from NSF to the Washington DC Airports:
If you attend the NSF trip, you may choose to leave from a Washington DC airport in the afternoon or the evening of July 31 (or later) or from an airport around Williamsburg anytime during the day on Saturday, August 1. If you do not plan to go to NSF, you can make plans to leave any time on Friday, July 31. Previous participants have found the NSF trip very useful, so we encourage you to attend.
Most participants choose to fly out of one of the three Washington DC airports after the NSF visit or to stay overnight in DC at their own expense and leave the following morning. In many cases, the fares are reasonable even though the arrival and departure airports are different. If the flight you wish to take is in the afternoon, then it is fine to leave NSF early.
Travel time from the NSF offices to BWI or Dulles is at least one hour (and may be more during rush hour); to Reagan National you should allow at least a half hour if during rush hour. The Washington DC Airport Shuttle serves all three metropolitan Washington airports. They will pick up at the door and deliver to the airport.
- Reagan National Airport: Directions and information about ground transportation
- Dulles International Airport: Directions and information about ground transportation
- Washington International Airport (BWI): The BWI Express Metro Bus travels between BWI and the Greenbelt, MD metro station. See more information about where to catch it and the costs involved.
Williamsburg is served by Amtrak.
If you choose to drive to the workshop, there is no fee for on-campus parking. The address for the One Tribe Place dorm is 415 Richmond Road, Williamsburg, VA.
Participants will stay at in single-occupancy rooms in the One Tribe Place dorm on the College of William and Mary campus. Linens (pillow, pillow case, sheets, blanket, 2 towels) will be provided, but you will need to bring your own toiletries (soap, shampoo, etc).
Complimentary internet access will be available in the dorms and in the meeting venue. Access instructions will be available at check-in.
There is no fee for on-campus parking.
What to bring:
Dress will be casual during the workshop. Please be prepared for cool air-conditioned buildings and the hot/humid outdoors. Rain sometime during the week is likely. More formal attire is recommended for the NSF visit.
Linens will be provided in the dorms (pillow, pillow case, sheets, blanket, 2 towels). You need to bring your own toiletries (soap, shampoo, etc). You may also wish to bring your own coat hangers or garment bag, as there is no iron or ironing board available.
All breakfasts and most other meals from Sunday dinner through Thursday dinner will be provided (see program for details). There will be various options, including vegetarian entrees. We expect to be able to satisfy most food preferences and restrictions. You will have the opportunity to tell us about your dietary restrictions and preferences on the registration form.
Guest membership to the workout facilities on the William and Mary campus are available for $5 per day.
Christy Bennett: (757) 221-7787