DATE: Friday, November 22, 2019
8:45-9:30: Registration & Coffee, Millie Green Room
9:30-9:45: Welcome and Opening Remarks
9:45-10:30: Growing our Programs- Presentation and discussion regarding current research on student persistence in sciences
Presentation: Persistence_in_Science.pptx (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 6MB Nov22 19)
10:45-12:00: Recognizing our Strengths to Market our Programs and Recruit Majors
- Participants will perform a SWOT analysis of their individual departments to develop strategies to broaden participation, increase student success, and further recruitment of majors.
- Gallery walk of developed strategies
Presentation: Recognizing_Our_Strengths.pptx (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 1.2MB Nov22 19)
12:30: 1:45: Achieving our educational goals: how, where, and when are our students exposed to program level goals?
- Participants will work in groups to determine in which classes students are exposed to and develop program level learning objectives, identify potential gaps in the learning experience, and develop
- Astronomy-curriculum-matrix.xlsx (Excel 2007 (.xlsx) 12kB Nov21 19)
- Geology-curriculum-matrix.xlsx (Excel 2007 (.xlsx) 12kB Nov21 19)
- Math-curriculum-matrix.xlsx (Excel 2007 (.xlsx) 12kB Nov22 19)
- Meteorology-curriculum-matrix.xlsx (Excel 2007 (.xlsx) 12kB Nov21 19)
- Physics-curriculum-matrix.xlsx (Excel 2007 (.xlsx) 12kB Nov21 19)
1:45-2:00 Discussion about observed gaps and/or program continuity
2:00-3:30: Increasing success in the classroom and Retaining our Students: Aligning course activities with Course and Program Objectives
- Participants will work in small groups to determine how individual assignments align with course and program objectives. Using Blooms taxonomy as a guide participants will work to better align one class activity to course/program objectives and summative course assessments.
Presentation:Retaining_Students.pptx (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 1.6MB Nov22 19)
3:30-3:45 Lightning presentations of revised activities.
3:45-4:00: Workshop evaluation and closing remarks