Suffolk County Community College : Rooms 101 and 103 of the Workforce Development Technology Center (Corporate Training Center)
Michael J. Grant Campus, Brentwood, Long Island, NY
From the west, take the Long Island Expressway to Exit 52, Commack Road. Cross over Commack Road, stay to right to Crooked Hill Road. Right on Crooked Hill Road to the campus entrance on the left. Take the Loop Road to the left to the Sally Ann Slacke Center. Take a right after the center to parking field 2B.
From the east, take the Long Island Expressway to Exit 53. Follow signs to Wicks Road. Go south ½ mile on Wicks Road to campus entrance on right-hand side. Take the Loop Road to the right to parking field 2B.
We ask that participants bring a laptop or tablet that connects to the internet
Each workshop participant is expected to:
- In advance of the workshop
- complete the registration form answering all questions. This helps us design a workshop that focuses on the needs of each participant.
- Bring an example of an active learning, hands- on activity or a field or research project that you use with your class.
- During the workshop
- We ask that you participate in all activities from the beginning of the workshop between 8:00 am and 4 pm
- Create activities that you will implement in your classes this year. We would like to know how you will use the information you learn in the workshop and how you will bring it to your students.
- help to form a community of geoscience educators in the Long Island/NYC area
- Following the workshop - either individually or collectively implement the activities that you developed during the workshop, or one that you create from what you learned at the workshop and help disseminate insights from the workshop to other geoscience educators.
This workshop is open to all faculty at 2 year and 4 year schools, especially those teaching first and second year students. We also invite in-service K-12 teachers, pre-service teachers and students.
Register for the workshop on or before October 26, 2016.