Strategies for Incorporating Sustainability Throughout your Earth Science Course
So you've heard about some of the new data-rich, sustainability-focused activities in teaching collections like InTeGrate, but you're not sure how to successfully adapt your course to incorporate them (or other active-learning materials such as the GETSI or EDDIE collections)? In this mini-workshop, we will explore and discuss some of the opportunities and challenges someone may face in transforming their earth science course with these materials. Logistics—including classroom setting, technology, target audience, learning objectives—are a common challenge; as a former InTeGrate Research Team member who replaced half the content in a traditional large lecture Physical Geology course with InTeGrate materials, I will discuss my own experiences with these challenges and facilitate strategic discussions on implementing these activities in your own classroom.
All mini-workshops will take place online, via Zoom (unless otherwise noted). Participants will be sent links to the Zoom room and connection info will be posted below prior to the session start.
Session Connection Info
This workshop has already taken place.
By the end of this workshop, participants will:
- Explore examples of the activities and course modules that incorporate sustainability into an Earth Science course
- Identify and discuss benefits associated with incorporating sustainability into existing courses
- Identify challenges and strategies to overcome those challenges to incorporating sustainability into coursework
- Work creatively and collaboratively to identify ways to include sustainability into their courses
0:00 Welcome and introductions
0:15 Importance of teaching with sustainability, introducing collections and examples
0:45 Breakout #1: Benefits, challenges, and strategies for adapting these activities into your teaching context
1:00 Summary of Breakout #1 results and general discussion
1:05 Break -- stretch your legs and grab a snack; sign-ups for Breakout #2 activity
1:15 Course learning outcomes and identifying ways to incorporate sustainability *
1:30 Breakout #2: Fitting sustainability activities into your course -- group work time
2:20 Summary and concluding remarks
* Although not required, if you bring an existing course syllabus or course catalog description of a course you'd like to incorporate more sustainability-themed activities into, we can discuss your specific needs!
InTeGrate Teaching Materials: https://serc.carleton.edu/integrate/teaching_materials/index.html
GETSI Teaching Materials: https://serc.carleton.edu/getsi/teaching_materials/index.html
Project EDDIE Teaching Materials: https://serc.carleton.edu/eddie/enviro_data/modules.html