Best Practices for Implementing Dual Enrollment Programs
Dual enrollment college courses for high school students have great potential to expand geoscience education, to ease students into college rigor and improve college outcomes, and to attract students from underrepresented groups to study geosciences in college. Because they are also challenging to structure and develop, our workshop will explore best practices for implementing dual enrollment college courses. The conveners' experience with UT Austin's OnRamps dual enrollment geoscience course (Earth, Wind and Fire) will be the basis for discussing learning goals, curriculum development, course structure, course delivery systems, assessments, academic integrity, teacher training and support, recruitment strategies, and successful partnerships between institutions of higher education and secondary school systems. Workshop participants will be encouraged to share their experiences and concerns, leading to a collectively-developed list of recommendations for designing and implementing dual enrollment and distance education courses. We encourage anyone interested in expanding connections between secondary and college-level geoscience education to attend.
All mini-workshops will take place online, via Zoom (unless otherwise noted). Participants will be sent links to the Zoom room and connection info will be posted below prior to the session start.
Please read NAGT's Code of Conduct for NAGT Activities
Session Connection Info
This session has ended.
During this workshop, participants will:
- Consider ways that dual enrollment courses can be structured and implemented
- Explore opportunities and challenges associated with dual enrollment courses
- Create a set of recommendations for designing, implementing and sustaining a dual enrollment class
- Learn how to access resources that can be used to develop course content for dual enrollment courses
- Connect with educators interested in dual enrollment courses
(Program starts at 12pm PT / 1pm MT / 2pm CT / 3pm ET; times below are represented as hour:minute to standardize among time zones)
00:00 Welcome and discussion of goals
- Facilitator introductions
- How to use the SERC website for the workshop
- Participants share their goals for the workshop and interest in dual enrollment courses