In order to help you get the most out of the workshop on Teaching Computation in the Sciences Using MATLAB, we ask that you do several things in advance. Here is a list of the preparatory activities and their deadlines.
By Friday, June 15th
- Apply for the workshop. If you are accepted for the workshop, you will be asked to complete a registration form to provide us with more information.
- Complete the stipend application if you wish to be considered for supplementary funds towards attending the workshop.
By Wednesday, August 15th
- Register for the workshop. Note that all accepted applicants need to register, and the registration form is not the same form as the application form that you have already filled out.
- Share at least one teaching activity or assignment for a science course that teaches computational skills using MATLAB. You must use the online form to share your activity. Submitted activities will undergo peer review by a panel of Teaching Computation in the Sciences community members. Highly reviewed activities will be featured in an exemplary collection. You can see last year's workshop participants' activities for examples.
- Write and upload a one-page essay about how you assess student computational learning, including challenges you face and how you have overcome them. You must use the online form to submit your essay. You can see last year's workshop participants' essays for examples.
- (Optional) Share a description of a course that you teach which incorporates computation using MATLAB. You must use the online form to submit your course description. You can see 2015 workshop participants' courses for examples.
These submissions will be used to select workshop panelists, they will be posted on the workshop website, and they will be featured in a web-based collection devoted to teaching computation using MATLAB in the sciences.
By Saturday, September 15th
- Make your travel plans so that you can attend the entire workshop, from the opening session on Sunday, October 14, 2018, beginning at 5 pm, through the final session, ending at 2 pm on Tuesday, October 16. It is essential that you attend the full workshop, including the full day on Tuesday. For additional information on travel and ground transportation see the logistics page.
- Complete the travel information form so that we know your plans and can arrange for airport shuttles if appropriate.
- Book your hotel room if you are going to stay in the Country Inn & Suites. For information on lodging see the logistics page. Make sure to indicate that you are part of the MATLAB workshop when booking. Please note: although we do have a block of rooms reserved we do not book your room for you.
Before the workshop - REQUIRED
- Read all of the essays and become familiar with the activities submitted by your fellow workshop participants. We will send you a PDF of essays prior to the workshop.
- Create a SERC account, if you don't already have one. You will need it to access our private (password-protected) participant workspace during the workshop.
- Bring your laptop. You will be using it throughout the workshop.
Before the workshop - OPTIONAL
- Brush up on MATLAB by looking at code examples or working through the on-ramp training.
After the workshop
If you have been awarded a workshop stipend, follow the instructions to receive your stipend.