Virtual Workshop: Teaching Computation Online with MATLAB
For Educators in Biology, Chemistry, Engineering, Geoscience, Math, Physics, and beyond
October 17-19, 2021 | Online
This 3-day workshop will bring together educators teaching quantitative thinking and computational skills who are interested in strengthening their courses, teaching materials, and student uptake with programming, with a particular focus on transitioning courses to partially or fully online.
Working with faculty peers and MATLAB experts, workshop participants will develop MATLAB related curriculum while sharing strategies, tools, and challenges teaching computational courses in the new virtual and distance learning reality. Topics may include:
- Strategies for flipping classrooms and videoing lectures
- Automated grading of coding assignments with MATLAB Grader
- Centralized browser-based MATLAB Online software for teaching and learning
- And more
Session formats will include presentations of proven teaching activities, panel discussions led by peer leaders, and working groups within and across disciplines. Educators will return to their in-person and online classrooms, departments, and institutions armed with new skills, ideas to implement, and improve course offerings.
More than 150 educators have participated in SERC's Teaching Computation with MATLAB workshops. Previous attendees left the workshop armed with new plans and energy. One participant shared:
"We are going to actually design a new course on Data Visualization!"
As preparation for the workshop, all participants will be required to contribute to a collection of online teaching activities. A team of faculty colleagues will review these publicly available materials, making them citable by the authors (you) and your colleagues.
- Don Baker, McGill University
- Dan Burleson, University of Houston (Review Editor)
- Kristi Closser, California State University-Fresno
- Lisa Kempler, MathWorks
- Kelly Roos, Bradley University
- Sarah Fortner, Science Education Resource Center, Carleton College