Group 9 Discussion Notes
Please assign a group "scribe" to take group notes on this workspace page.
Note, these pages are publicly-accessible, so do not include anything you are not comfortable with sharing with the general public.
In your notes, please make sure they are detailed enough that someone who is not in your group can read and understand them.
Group members: Sherita, Joy, Alice, Tiffini, Anne
Prompt: How can we design the future of Earth Education for sustainable societies?
- Innovative ideas
- Resources needed
- facilitating pathways
IdeasA large push on K-12 education to start on that level. Sustainability starts there.
- Not so much about end-of-course exams and standardized exams but for the shear enjoyment of learning, empowering them with something tangible
- minimum of book work, need more hands-on activity
- Gardening in elementary school, solar panels in middle school, high school connecting local food to schools and local eaters
- Putting everything back into relatable terms
- Need passionate and enthusiastic teachers to help make the change
Social imperative to relate their science to people - need to show students connections to their communities
- Need to be relatable to real-world experience (jobs, etc.)
- Engineering empowers students to develop solutions
- Need to recreate curiosity that grew out of wandering
- No Child Left Inside programs
- Access to the outdoors
- More access to environmental science
- Professional development for teachers in especially underserved areas