Group 6 Discussion Notes
Please assign a group "scribe" to take group notes on this workspace page.
Note, these pages are publicly-accessible, so do not include anything you are not comfortable with sharing with the general public.
In your notes, please make sure they are detailed enough that someone who is not in your group can read and understand them.
Group members: Sharon Cooper, Christa Spears, Joy Branlund, Liang Zeng, Lisa White, Eric Goldfarb
Prompt: How can we design the future of Earth Education for sustainable societies?
- More (good) Earth Science educators in the K-12 system.
- Stronger earth science at the younger years would help students not be turned off to science overall before they even get to college
- Especially ones that will encourage students to continue on in ES instead of chem, physics, etc.
- Other places that students learn as well - reaching them in places other than in schools (e.g. boy or girl scouts, apps, museums, books, etc) - - meeting them where they are at.
- Building awareness of what sustainability is earlier will help as well.
- which may be a good inroad to the earth sciences
- Sustainability helps with building interdisciplinary
- Interdisciplinary is inherent in solving real big complex problems
- Working on issues related to the community
- Bring other disciplines to the table (not just within the sciences)
- Working with the community - bring them to the table within solving issues
- Small steps
- Promote working across disciplines more frequently
- More advocates - celebrity spokesperson