Group 8 Discussion Notes
Please assign a group "scribe" to take group notes on this workspace page.
Note, these pages are publicly-accessible, so do not include anything you are not comfortable with sharing with the general public.
In your notes, please make sure they are detailed enough that someone who is not in your group can read and understand them.
Group members: [David McConnell, Sean Tvelia, Dave Gossalin, Hannah Scherer, Elizabeth Nagy, Wendi Williams, Myron Williams]
Prompt: How can we design the future of Earth Education for Sustainanblility
- We should collaborate with professionals working in sustainable food systems.
- We need a significant component being oriented towards k-12. If we have enough opportunities to educate people about what geoscience is all about --by doing this we create a sustained presence throughout education.
- We need to better recruit teachers with appropriate experiences and or provided appropriate resources to those who need it.
- Students (and teachers) need to be provided context through interdisciplinary approaches rather having discreet isolated coursework in the sciences.
- We need to understand that sustainability means different things to different communities and acknowledging equity and environmental justice.
- We need to collaborate with sociologist and those who better understand community structures and cultures.
- We need to change the perspective so that geoscientist are a primary resource not an afterthought when things go wrong.
- We need to better develop our courses to reflect how the geoscience fit within other disciplines.