Group 2 Discussion Notes
Please assign a group "scribe" to take group notes on this workspace page.
Note, these pages are publicly-accessible, so do not include anything you are not comfortable with sharing with the general public.
In your notes, please make sure they are detailed enough that someone who is not in your group can read and understand them.
Group members: Jessica Smay, Karen Yip, Karen Kortz, Ellen Iverson, Fred Marton, Tadesse Alemu, Kristin O'Connell
How can we design the future of Earth Education for sustainable societies??
- Relevant, local and earlier earth science education especially about local/regional issues (prior to college)
- Life-long learning opportunities - multi-generational learning opportunities. (beyond college)
- Lubricate the financial obstacles to increase diversity in our science (scholarship, field equipment, field camp, research funding etc)
- Really encourage every earth science course to include sustainability. - Add relevance to all courses.
- close-up gap between the K-12 system and the goals/activities of higher education.
- Goals of reaching the communities, individuals, groups that haven't been part of the geoscience community in the past. DIVERSITY in the voices
- Adding plaques and signs and informative posters wherever possible. Public education via informative signs in far more places. Geoscience you need when you need it: Informative signs for "why is there a retention basin here?" "where does your storm drain go?" "the garbage in this can goes to ____" "did you know this rain garden helps our watersheds?"