Why Structure our Program this Way?
Go back to the beginning of this presentation, by Carolyn Eyles and Susan Vajoczki of McMaster University, about integrating interdisciplinary programs into an existing department.
First stage of program design:
Identify the 'ideal' graduate
- Conducted series of surveys of students, faculty, alumni, employers
Ideal graduate should have
- Strong substantive knowledge
- Balance of breadth and depth
- Hands on experiences—field and lab
- Personal transferable skills
- Academic qualifications for professional certification