Problem Solving and Problem-based Learning in the Geosciences
2012 Journal Club
From January to May, 2012, the Problem Solving and Problem-based Learning Journal Club will meet once a month to discuss readings from the geoscience, other natural sciences and cognitive science literature. We will explore aspects of problem solving and problem-based learning in the classroom that includes introducing problem solving, levels of scaffolding, and assessing students' success.
Resources for Teaching Problem Solving and Problem-based Learning
Browse our collections of
- Teaching activities with a strong problem solving or problem-based learning
- Pedagogic modules that involve problem solving, including the what, why, and how to use the teaching method in class and with a collection of activity examples:
- Documented Problem Solving
- Guided Discovery Problems
- Faculty-coached, In-class Problem Solving
- Investigative Case-Based Learning
- The Case Method
- Process-Oriented, Guided Inquiry Learning
- Print and online references
Join the Discussion
Share insights, ask questions or network with other faculty who are engaged in teaching or researching spatial thinking:
- Subscribe to the problem solving email list.
- Read the problem solving email list archives.