Teaching Geoscience Online
Do you teach online? Or are you looking to make the leap to online teaching?
The materials below are designed to help geoscience faculty improve their online teaching, or to provide guidance to those who are considering venturing into the online classroom. These materials are authored by participants in the 2010 workshop, Teaching Geoscience Online.
Pedagogy, Course Design and Course Delivery
- Tips for Designing Online Courses - Tailor your course layout, pacing, content delivery and assignments for online delivery.
- Website Design for Online Courses - Create lively, engaging, and effective course pages.
- Student Motivation and Engagement in Online Courses - Strategies for engaging students who you may never meet
- Interactive Activities in Online and Hybrid Courses - Facilitating interactivity in the online environment can be difficult, but here we explore various activities to promote active learning online
- Incorporating Lab Activities in Online Geology Courses - Methods to teach traditional geology labs such as rock identification or simple experiments
- Using Data to Teach Geology in College-Level Online Classes - The online environment contains plentiful data sets - learn how to incorporate them into your course
- Course Platforms for Teaching Online - None of them are perfect, but additional tools can help you make the most of the virtual classroom
- Recommended Resources - Best practices for online teachers, data and research about online learning, and selected examples from the literature
Online Activities and Courses
- Online Activity Collection - Case studies, data-rich activities, discussion strategies and assessments contributed by faculty to the On the Cutting Edge web collection
- Online Course Collection - Includes online courses in oceanography, evolution, natural hazards, National Parks and more. Contributed by faculty to the On the Cutting Edge web collection
- Finding Lab Activities Online - Lab activities found online that address a wide variety of geoscience topics.
- Do you have successful examples from your own online teaching? Tell us about your activities or courses.
Past virtual workshop, Teaching Geoscience Online
This workshop took place in June 2010 and was attended by 18 participants drawn from across the country and representing a full spectrum of institutional types. Workshop outcomes can be viewed on the program page and in the workshop report. The workshop produced most of the content provided on this website. We hope that these pages will help faculty who are engaged in teaching online as well as providing a starting point for those who are designing their first online courses.