Finding Open Educational Resources for Teaching
Compiled by Gretchen Miller, Wake Technical Community College, and Carol Ormand, SERC, for the 2020 workshop for Early Career Faculty in the Geosciences, with additional resources suggested by Ben Laabs, North Dakota State University
OER textbooks and courseware
- LibreTexts has a collection of OER geoscience courses and textbooks
- MIT Open Courseware: search the educator portal for teaching materials on Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences, including online textbooks
- Coursera has course materials -- and online certificate programs -- on Environmental Science and Sustainability
If you are new to online teaching
Many faculty across the US (and the world) made a rapid transition to online teaching earlier this year. SERC put together a set of web resources to support geoscience faculty making that transition:
- Teaching Geoscience Online
- Quick Transition to Online Teaching
- Search for Online Geoscience Teaching Activities and Courses
For introductory geoscience courses
- GeoScience Videos is a collection of short instructional videos for introductory geology courses, developed using effective multimedia design principles
- Teaching Introductory Geoscience Courses
On teaching a concept or skill across multiple courses
- The Math You Need, When You Need It is a set of math tutorials for students in introductory geoscience courses.
- The InTeGrate project is all about teaching about sustainability across the curriculum, and includes information on how to teach sustainability as well as modules and courses that you can adopt or adapt for your classroom.
- The Spatial Thinking Workbook is a collection of teaching activities designed to strengthen geoscience students' penetrative thinking skills: the ability to visualize spatial relations inside an object.
Of special interest for early career faculty
- The early career geoscience faculty website has a set of pages about efficient, effective teaching: how to teach well, without it taking over your life
- Designing Effective and Innovative Courses
- The On the Cutting Edge project, of which this workshop is a part, has modules on a wide range of geoscience courses and topics
Ideas Compiled During This Session
- PBS shorts on earth science topics
- LinkedIn Learning
- EDDIE modules
- Global Weirding Series (Katherine Hayhoe)
- Google Spreadsheet with more ideas
On teaching methods
- Expanding Your Teaching Toolkit is a page of resources to make your courses more interactive. If you're not sure where to begin, in terms of incorporating active learning pedagogies into your teaching, start here.
- Pedagogy in Action aims to help faculty put into practice in the classroom what we've learned from research on learning. It includes detailed descriptions of the what, why and how of various teaching methods and has a collection of examples of teaching activities using each method. If you're ready to dive in, these pages are for you.
On teaching in particular situations