2023 Workshop for Heads and Chairs of Earth and Space Sciences Departments
Sunday, 10 December 2023, AGU23 Meeting, San Francisco, CA
Workshop held at: San Francisco Marriot Marquis
Room Salon 4-6 (Lower B2 Level)
780 Mission Street, San Francisco, CA
700 am PST to 500 pm PST
Registration: Via the AGU23 Meeting registration page (The workshop itself is free; but attendees must be registered for AGU23 and must have a badge). Registration will open on 22 August.
Upon selecting this workshop in the registration portal, you will be asked to upload a link to your profile page on your department or organizations website, as this workshop is meant for those who are department or institution leaders. We have instituted this process to prevent students and others from adding this workshop to their registration (shopping) cart. When you submit your registration you will receive a message saying that your registration is pending. Once your website profile has been verified (that you are a department leader) and approved, you will receive an approval message guaranteeing your seat for the workshop. There is limited seating (65) for this workshop so please register as soon as you are able to.
Early bird registration ends on 2 November. Join AGU or renew your membership by 2 November (23:59 EDT/03:59 +1 GMT) to take advantage of early bird member rates.
This one-day workshop provides an opportunity for heads and chairs of Earth and Space Science departments to discuss issues and strategies for building a strong department, meet other heads and chairs, and learn more about current issues. The workshop program includes sessions on the topics listed below.
- Welcome and plans for the day
- Morning session
- Writing and reviewing letters of recommendation for equity (Facilitators are Dr. Steve Desir, University of Southern California, and Dr. Aurora Kamimura, Washington University in St Louis). Funding for this portion of the workshop was provided by Inclusive Graduate Education Network (IGEN)
- Afternoon sessions
- Aligning recruitment and admissions (Facilitators are Dr. Steve Desir, University of Southern California, and Dr. Aurora Kamimura, Washington University in St Louis). Funding for this portion of the workshop was provided by Inclusive Graduate Education Network (IGEN).
- Updates about Geoscience Workforce (Christopher Keane, American Geosciences Institute)
- Opportunities from NAGT and SERC (Rory McFadden, Science Education Associate, SERC at Carleton College and NAGT 2nd vice president)
- Workshop evaluation
Pranoti Asher, AGU Assistant Director; AGU Bridge Program Project Director
Eva Kostyu, Program Manager, AGU Bridge Program
Rory McFadden, Science Education Resource Center (SERC) at Carleton College
Heather Macdonald, College of William and Mary