Developing Pathways to Strong Departments for the Future
February 24-26, 2005
College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, VA
By Invitation Only
This workshop will bring together leaders from departments to promote discussion and sharing of their methods for
- approaches to core content and curriculum for the geoscience major and graduate degree programs (including co-curricular opportunities);
- recruiting, retaining, and advising students, including those from underrepresented groups;
- integrating and balancing research and education;
- departmental planning and facilities;
- retaining and recruiting top faculty that meet department goals.
- assessment and evaluation of departmental programs
- maintaining the department as a valued institutional partner (advantages and pitfalls of multidisciplinary collaboration, selling geoscience in the liberal arts setting, serving the institution)
The outcome of the workshop is a set of on-line materials describing geoscience departments and their programs. In preparation for the workshop, we have documented work done by other disciplines with a focus on building strong departments. Each participant has submitted materials describing their program which is currently available via the website. On-line materials documenting discussion at the workshop and the recommendations of the workshop participants are also available.