About this Project
Building Strong Geoscience Departments is a project focused on helping geoscience departments adapt and prosper in a changing and challenging environment. Through workshops, this website, professional society meeting sessions, and publications this project aims to stimulate discussions and disseminate community expertise on topics such as approaches to core content and curriculum, retaining and recruiting top faculty and students, and maintaining the department as a valued institutional partner. The Building Strong Geoscience Departments program is sponsored by the National Association of Geoscience Teachers, the American Geosciences Institute , the Geological Society of America , and the American Geophysical Union .
- Cathy Manduca (SERC, Carleton College)
- Geoff Feiss (College of William and Mary, Emeritus)
- Heather Macdonald ( This site may be offline. ) (College of William and Mary)
- Carol Ormand (SERC, Carleton College)
- Randy Richardson (University of Arizona)
There are several opportunities for geoscience departments (or individual faculty members) to become involved with this project:
Contribute to Online Collections
- Are you a faculty member working at the edges of geoscience, perhaps doing work that is multidisciplinary, unusually collaborative, using sophisticated technology and large data sets, utilizing a systems approach, or studying the applications of geoscience to societally relevant issues? Does your department have a particularly strong or interesting course, curriculum, or program? Do you have thoughts to share about how to mentor students, maintain a healthy faculty, or work within the larger institution? Submit a description of a faculty member, a course, a curriculum, a program, or your department for inclusion in our collections of profiles.
- Are you an employer of geoscience graduates or a recently employed graduate? Do you have thoughts to share about the knowledge, skills and abilities employers are seeking? If so, please email Carol Ormand to find out how to contribute to our collection of employer and employee interviews.
- The Geodepartments email list is an email list where members can post and receive announcements about relevant workshops and events at professional society meetings, as well as discuss issues that are important to the community. Join the email list or browse through the list archives to see the kinds of topics that have been discussed in the past. Note: you must join this list to post messages to it.
- We convene several workshops and conference sessions each year for interested faculty members. Workshop participants are part of this research project, so we do analyze information submitted in application and registration forms, as well as materials created as a result of the workshop. Read more about participating in the research aspect of this project.
- Since 2004, several activities have contributed to our vision for the Building Strong Geosciences Departments project.
Geodepartments Email List
As a Workshop Participant
Download the Project Brochure. (Acrobat (PDF) 1.1MB Oct15 09)
Disclaimer: Any opinions, findings, conclusions or recommendations expressed in this website are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.