Webinar: Strategies for Supporting 2YC-4YC/U Student Transfer in the Geosciences
3-4 PM Eastern | 2-3 PM Central | 1-2 PM Mountain | 12-1 PM Pacific
Conveners : Karen Layou (Reynolds Community College) and Heather Macdonald (College of William and Mary)
Presenters: Diane Doser (University of Texas, El Paso), Kaatje Kraft (Whatcom Community College), Karen Layou (Reynolds Community College), Gretchen Miller (Wake Tech Community College), and Katryn Wiese (City College of San Francisco)
Format: Online web presentation via Adobe Connect web conference software with questions and discussion. Participants will receive an email with instructions detailing how to log into the event approximately one week prior to the event.
This event has already occurred.
Many students enroll at two-year colleges (2YC) as a cost-effective and flexible entry to college. For those students who intend to continue on at a four-year college or university (4YC), however, the transfer process is often challenging. Faculty at 2YCs play a key role in identifying students who have an interest in geosciences, offering opportunities that serve the advising needs of these students, and providing students with activities in and beyond the classroom that promote the skills and interactions necessary for success at a 4YC. Likewise, faculty at 4YCs can foster transfer student success through targeted advising, specific transition programs for transfer students from 2YCs (e.g., field trips), and curricular alignment with 2YC programs. Through strong collaborations, faculty at both 2YCs and 4YCs can work to minimize transfer shock and facilitate the transfer process. During the webinar, we will have time for discussion and questions. We hope you will join us!
Webinar MaterialsScreencast of the webinar.
- Kaatje Kraft (Whatcom Community College) - Examining factors that influence successful student transfer between 2YC and 4YC/U in the geosciences (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 2.7MB Nov21 14)
- Karen Layou (Reynolds Community College) - Supporting Geoscience Transfer Students (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 551kB Nov21 14)
- Katryn Wiese (City College of San Francisco) - City College of San Francisco - Departmenr of Earth Sciences (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 2.4MB Nov21 14)
- Diane Doser (University of Texas, El Paso) - Easing the Transfer of 2YC Students to 4YC’s – Examples from the University of Texas at El Paso (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 981kB Nov21 14)
- Gretchen Miller (Wake Tech Community College) - Collaboration Between Wake Tech & NC State University (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 591kB Nov21 14)